The first part of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC)
- 6 day program on Koh Tao
- 2 Day optional Prep course (theory and skill reviews)
The PADI Assistant Instructor course is the first part of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC). Successful completion allows a candidate to start Part 2, the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor course (OWSI).
What Will You Learn?
Building on skills and abilities to organize and supervise scuba diving activities, during the Assistant Instructor course we will focus on developing teaching skills.
Some of the things we will cover include:
- Instructor level dive theory
- Instructor level demonstration quality skills
- Learning Instruction and the PADI system
- How to teach in the classroom, swimming pool and open water
- General Standards and procedures for the courses and programs a PADI Assistant Instructor is certified to teach
Course Price: 20,000 THB
What Can You Teach?
In addition to the responsibilities and duties you already have as a PADI Divemaster, as a certified PADI Assistant Instructor you can:
- Teach academic presentations (under the indirect supervision of a PADI Istructor)
- Present initial skill training during Confined water training (under the direct supervision of a PADI Instructor)
- Evaluate Open Water diver course surface skills (under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor)
- Teach and certify PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers (under the direction of a PADI Instructor)
- Teach AWARE Coral Reef Conservation specialty courses
- Conduct the PADI Discover Scuba Diver experience in a swimming pool or an open confined water environment
- Conduct PADI Seal Team Aqua Missions
- Teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photography specialty course (under the direction of a PADI Instructor) after earning the PADI Digital Underwater Photography Specialty Instructor rating
The 2018 application fee for the PADI Assistant Instructor course is $AUS 108. This is paid by the candidate, directly to PADI via credit card.
For your own set of PADI Instructor Manuals & Materials, you can purchase our IDC “Crew Pack”.
Price: 18,500 THB
The PADI IDC Crew Pack includes:
- PADI Backpack
- PADI Guide to Teaching (Paper version & CD-Rom)
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- PADI Quizzes & Exam Booklets [Open Water, Rescue Diver, Divemaster]
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual (CD-Rom)
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Instructor Outline
- PADI Open Water course Prescriptive Lesson Guides (CD-Rom)
- Positive Approach Selling (DVD)
- Dive Lesson Planning Slates [Confined and Open Water)
- Open Water, Advanced, Rescue Diver, Divemaster course Instructor Cue Cards
- Hologram Decal
- Instructor Candidate Information
- Emergency First Response Instructor manual
IDC Schedule & Dates
IDC Koh Tao • Matt’s Industry News
Jamie Hull is no ordinary scuba diver. He is a leader in his field as a PADI dive professional and a fully qualified diving instructor with the British Army Sub Aqua Diving Association (ASADA), a special branch of the British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC). This in itself is...
Suki Hung is one of the most experienced Chinese PADI Course Directors, training over 1,000 PADI Professionals and has been at the highest level of the scuba diving industry for over a decade. Suki recalls her journey from the corporate world to the underwater world...
Andrea Warren is one of Koh Tao’s newest PADI Course Directors and one of Crystal Dive’s Technical Diving Instructors. As an elite Instructor trainer, Andrea tells us about her journey to becoming one of scuba diving’s most influential leaders and role models. Tell...
"An Internationally Acclaimed PADI 5 Star Career Development Centre (CDC), this is a Dive Centre that provides you with an opportunity to change your lifestyle and develop a new career."
"Was a hard but great course! Thanks a lot again to all staff who teaches and prepared us so well, that finally the IE was easy going! Thanks Matt, Tina, Steph, Kenji, Steve, Manu and everybody else who supports us."
"They cater to your schedule during divemaster training so you can do it at your own pace and are also environmentally conscious which is an important factor. Anyone considering a professional career in diving should definitely consider Crystal."
"They are very dedicated, and were always there to help me with the theory, and to improve my scuba teaching skills. If you are still searching for a centre to do your IDC at, I recommend doing it with Matt."
"There was absolutely nothing that could have happened during the IE the candidates were not made very well aware of. Everything ran so smoothly for the candidates."
"It's a good decision to do your training with Matt, a lot of information is given and shared experiences. If you guys wanted to do IDC, I recommend doing it with IDC Koh Tao. Thank you for the amazing IDC."
"If you guy's are looking for good teachers and the best Course Director, this is the place..Thank you for guiding us, inspiring us and making us what we are today. Highly recommend."
"I enjoyed every single day of my IDC as well as my MSDT. Matt is an outstanding Course Director who goes all the way out for you, in preparation for the IE."
"The course was fun and you meet a bunch of new people, it’s not hard to fit in. When the day of the IE arrives, you don't even stress about it, because the Course Directors are the best."
"Did my IDC with Crystal Dive and IDC Koh Tao and I'm so happy I chose them. Matt Bolton made sure that there was lots of learning, training and laughs! I felt more than prepared for the I.E. And it showed!"