The first part of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC)
The PADI Assistant Instructor course provides PADI Divemasters and leadership level dive professionals from other training organizations the opportunity to further their training as instructional assistants and dive educators.
- 6 day program on Koh Tao
- 2 Day optional Prep course (theory and skill reviews)
The PADI Assistant Instructor course is the first part of the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC). Successful completion allows a candidate to start Part 2, the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor course (OWSI).
What Will You Learn?
Building on skills and abilities to organize and supervise scuba diving activities, during the Assistant Instructor course we will focus on developing teaching skills.
Some of the things we will cover include:
- Instructor level dive theory
- Instructor level demonstration quality skills
- Learning Instruction and the PADI system
- How to teach in the classroom, swimming pool and open water
- General Standards and procedures for the courses and programs a PADI Assistant Instructor is certified to teach
Course Price: 20,000 THB
What Can You Teach?
In addition to the responsibilities and duties you already have as a PADI Divemaster, as a certified PADI Assistant Instructor you can:
- Teach academic presentations (under the indirect supervision of a PADI Istructor)
- Present initial skill training during Confined water training (under the direct supervision of a PADI Instructor)
- Evaluate Open Water diver course surface skills (under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor)
- Teach and certify PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Divers (under the direction of a PADI Instructor)
- Teach AWARE Coral Reef Conservation specialty courses
- Conduct the PADI Discover Scuba Diver experience in a swimming pool or an open confined water environment
- Conduct PADI Seal Team Aqua Missions
- Teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photography specialty course (under the direction of a PADI Instructor) after earning the PADI Digital Underwater Photography Specialty Instructor rating
The application fee for the PADI Assistant Instructor course is $AUS 130. This is paid by the candidate, directly to PADI via credit card.
For your own set of PADI Instructor Manuals & Materials, you can purchase our IDC “Crew Pack”.
Price: 17,500 THB
The PADI IDC Crew Pack includes:
- PADI Backpack
- PADI Guide to Teaching (Paper version & CD-Rom)
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- PADI Quizzes & Exam Booklets [Open Water, Rescue Diver, Divemaster]
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual (CD-Rom)
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Instructor Outline
- PADI Open Water course Prescriptive Lesson Guides (CD-Rom)
- Positive Approach Selling (DVD)
- Dive Lesson Planning Slates [Confined and Open Water)
- Open Water, Advanced, Rescue Diver, Divemaster course Instructor Cue Cards
- Hologram Decal
- Instructor Candidate Information
- PADI Dive Planning & Skill Practice Slate
IDC Schedule & Dates
IDC Koh Tao • Matt’s Industry News
Sidemount Diver Training as a PADI Instructor
I was conducting a routine dive with my Divemaster candidates using a backmount single tank configuration at Chumphon Pinnacles. There was a technical diver also on our dive boat, diving on a Sidemount set-up and he decided to tag along with us on our dive. Half way...
The Importance of Neutral Buoyancy as a Dive Professional
As a PADI Course Director, I have the opportunity to work with and develop hundreds of budding dive professionals. I feel as though I have an obligation to set each and every one of my candidates up for success within the Dive Industry. For me, personally, this means...
What is CITES and why it is important
Planet Earth is home to about 1.8 million species. Approximately 13,000 new species are discovered every year. Together all these species form an integral part of the natural ecosystem and are vital contributors to our diets, our medicine and clothing needs. Yet, many...